Monday, May 7, 2012

Military Monday

Each Monday I'll take the time to introduce you to a little bit of information I've gathered about my ancestors and the military.  Let me tell you, there are a lot of connections to the military in our family...and boy, does that make me proud!  Not only am I married to an active duty guy, but I'm the daughter of a Vietnam veteran ( love ya Daddy-O!).


Now, let's just say that our families military roots go all the way back to the American Revolution...isn't that amazing!  We've got Civil War soldiers on the tree too...both Union and Confederate!  And then, we have World War II veterans.  And we may even have a veteran from the War of 1812...I'm still working on confirming that one!  Like I said in a previous post, it's like being a detective...you've got to do a lot of searching and verifying before you can say for sure! 

So, what am I gonna show you today?  How about we start with World War I Draft Registration Cards. 

Here's a little information from the Ancestry.com website about these registration cards:

In 1917 and 1918, approximately 24 million men living in the United States completed a World War I draft registration card. These registration cards represent approximately 98% of the men under the age of 46. The total U.S. population in 1917-1918 was about 100 million individuals. In other words, close to 25% of the total population is represented in these records.


Below is the WWI Draft Registration Card for Harry Connolly, my husband's great grandfather.  You can gather all types of information from these cards.  The person's address, occupation and employer and even their nearest relative.


This next card is from my great grandfather, Paul Andrew Stringer.  In viewing these cards, I especially like the fact you can see their actual signature. 


Well, that's all for Military Monday...I hope you enjoyed getting a little glimpse into the past with me. 

Tiffany


No comments:

Post a Comment